Hello and welcome to Squirrels Class page!
Welcome to our KS1/KS2 class
We are a lively and happy little class who work really hard and also enjoy making lots of mess! You can look at our timetable to see what we get up to each day. Each half term we focus on a different story and do lots of reading and writing activities around its theme. We also do lots of hard work on numbers, shape and problem solving. We look at a different topic each half term and have lots of fun engaging in sensory activities linked to the topic! This year we are going to start working at our own workstations and following visual prompts for activities.
Our favourite activities are reading, sensory phonics, number songs on Education City, outside play, Science and Theme! All of the activities that we enjoy are activities where we get to explore using all of our different senses – especially if we get to taste something nice!
We are all excited to be back at school learning lots of new things and hope you will enjoy looking at photos of all of our adventures - so keep checking back on our page as we will update it as often as possible!
This half term we will be.....
- In Literacy we will be reading Room on the Broom and finding out just how many animals the witch can fit on her broom! We will continue with our targets from last term looking at the repetitive phrases, identifying animals and making animal sounds. We will also be writing key words and sentences from the story, drawing pictures, matching words and copying writing patterns. We will also see if we can remember what happens in the story by sequencing picture cards and using puppets to act out the story.
- In Maths we are going to be working solving problems by identifying things that are the same/different, sorting objects in to group, finding objects that have been hidden and using our problem solving skills to engage with cause and effect equipment.
- In Science we will be learning about magnets and magnetism. We will spend time exploring the magnets and observing them pushing and pulling against each other. We will use magnets to find out which objects are magnetic and will go on a magnet hunt around the school!
- This term our theme is going to be 'Europe' and we will be learning all about different countries in Europe (including France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Greece and Portugal). We will take our passports on our journeys with us as we find out about their different flags, where the country is and what food they eat in that country - a lot of us like Pizza so I think that Italy will be a hit!
- In PSHE we will be focusing on Friendship and linking this to The Rainbow Fish. We will read the story, talk about our class friends and then give each of our friends a sparkly fin - just like The Rainbow Fish. We will practice writing our friends names, find out what our friends like and all play games together.
- For our RE topic we will be learning about the Creation Story. We will use props to recreate a multi sensory version of the story and then create our own art work based on the creation of the landscapes and seascapes.
This half term we will be.....
- In Literacy we are reading The Gingerbread Man. Some of the pupils started playing a game of The Gingerbread Man in the playground last half term, so we thought it would be a great idea to read the story as a class! We will be looking at the repetitive phrases, identifying animals and making animal sounds, practicing our fine motor skills by decorating a gingerbread man with icing pens and acting out the story. We will also be writing key words and sentences from the story, drawing pictures, matching words and copying writing patterns.
- In Maths we are going to be working on Time. We will spend some time becoming familiar with clocks but will also be looking at making things go fast and slow, doing some races and finding out how many things we can do in 1 minute! I wonder who will be able to do the most star jumps in 1 minute?
- In Science we are continuing our topic on 'grouping and changing materials' and will be seeing if we can remember how to sort materials in to groups of plastic, metal, wood and cardboard. We are then going to have lots of fun looking at how materials can be changed by making slime, using ice paint cubes and doing some baking!
- Our theme this term is 'Liverpool' and we will be learning all about the history of our local area. We will be looking at where Liverpool is on a map, making our own ferries (to go across the Mersey!), listening to some songs by The Beatles and will join in using instruments and we will also be having a Liverpool vs Everton football tournament!
- In PSHE we will be focusing on Healthy Living and will be looking at healthy foods and doing some exercise. We really like to do The Vegetable Jam by Boogie Beebies - have a look at home! (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=boogie+beebies+vegetable+jam)
- Our topic in RE is about festivals that are celebrated in Spring. We will be learning all about the Easter Story and will also be doing lots of Easter arts and crafts.
Check back to see pictures of all of the fun we've been having!
This half term we will be.....
- In Literacy we are reading The Smartest Giant in Town. We will be looking at the repetitive rhyming words, thinking about how the giant feels and practising our writing of course!
- In Maths we are looking at sorting data. We will be looking at different things such as smarties, cars, blocks, boys & girls and fruit and then putting them in to groups and counting them to see which group has the most.
- In Science we are learning all about 'grouping and changing materials' and will be looking at materials such as metal, plastic, wood and cardboard. We will then see if we can correctly sort them. After we have done some activities on this we are going to have lots of fun looking at how materials can be changed by making playdough, use ice paint cubes and doing some baking!
- Our theme this term is 'Brazil' and we are going to learn all about the country. We will be looking at where Brazil is, what its flag looks like, what animals live in the rainforest and what happens at Rio carnival!!
- In cookery we will making different types of cakes.
We can't wait to get started!
This half term we will be.....
- In Literacy we are reading Little Red Riding Hood. We will be writing key words from the story and answering simple questions about the text.
- In Maths we are looking at shape. learning their names and identifying how many sides they have. We will also be continuing our target box work.
- In Science we are learning all about 'health and growth' and will be looking at how people and animals change from being babies to adults.
- Our theme this term is 'Ancient Romans'. This will be lots of fun because we will be dressing up as Romans and tasting some food that they had at Roman banquets.
- We will also be doing lots of other activities including Art, DT, Music, Cookery and sensory sessions!
What a lot of exciting work!!
During the first autumn term we have been....
- In Literacy we were reading a story called 10 Little Pirates (Arrrrrrrrrr!). We also wrote key words and drew pictures of pirates and treasure islands.
- In Maths we looked at size (big/small and long/short). We were able to identify the difference between big and small objects/pictures and then sort pictures of object in to big and small. We also continued doing our individual target box work.
- In Science we learnt all about 'moving and growing' and looked at skeletons and different parts of the body. We can find different parts of the body and we even made our own skeleton pictures!
- Our theme during the autumn term was 'Treasure Hunts. This was lots of fun because we have been exploring pirates and looking at treasure maps. We also went on a treasure hunt around our classroom using a map and were able to find the golden treasure!!
- We made some pizza in cookery. This meant that we could practice our spreading skills, choose toppings and practice chopping them safely.
We ask parents and carers to return the home / school diary each day as this will enable the class teacher to provide comments and information about your child's day in school. If there are particular things that you wish to be informed about, please speak with me.
All children and young people are encouraged to engage in reading and develop a love of stories. We have a wide range of reading books, sensory books and big books to support the learning styles and levels for each child. Every Friday your child will receive a new reading book. please encourage your child to engage with the characters and stories.
Individual Education Plan
This plan sets out educational targets that your child is working on for the term. There is a section in the plan that provides parents and carers with activities or tasks that you can do at home to support your child's learning. Plans are updated each term and sent home.
We kindly ask that you send in £2 each week. This contributes to snack and cookery ingredients that we use each week.
PE sessions take place each Friday. Please ensure a full PE kits is brought to school and that items are clearly labelled to avoid confusion. Our topics this term in PE will be sensory PE where we access workstations that are set up to meet the different senses of bodies.
Swimming sessions take place each Tuesday. Please provide appropriate swim clothing and swim nappies if your child uses them.
All pupils in the class take part in an enterprise activity each term. Enterprise supports children and young people to use their numeracy and literacy skills in a different context. This term we will be making crafts to sell at the christmas fayre.