HELLO and welcome to Owls class page!
Welcome to our KS2 class
We are a lively and happy little class who work really hard and also enjoy making lots of mess! You can look at our timetable to see what we get up to each day. Each half term we focus 1/2 different stories and do lots of reading and writing activities around its theme. We also do lots of hard work on numbers, shape and problem solving. We look at a different topic each half term and have lots of fun engaging in sensory activities linked to the topic! This year we are going to start working at our own workstations and following visual prompts for activities.
Our favourite activities are reading, sensory phonics, number songs on Education City, outside play, Science and Theme! All of the activities that we enjoy are activities where we get to explore using all of our different senses – especially if we get to taste something nice!
We are all excited to be back at school learning lots of new things and hope you will enjoy looking at photos of all of our adventures - so keep checking back on our page as we will update it as often as possible!
This half term we will be.....
• In Literacy we will be reading ‘Wow said the Owl’ and ‘Owl Babies’. We will be writing key words and sentences from the story, drawing pictures, matching words and copying writing patterns. We will also see if we can remember what happens in the story by sequencing picture cards and using puppets to act out the story.
• In Maths we are going to be working on number and size. We will be engaging with number songs, counting and identifying numbers. We will also be looking at the difference between big and small objects/pictures and then sorting pictures of object into big and small.
• In Science we will be learning all about 'moving and growing' and looking at skeletons and different parts of the body. We will try to find different parts of the body and will make our own skeleton pictures!
• Our theme this term is 'Treasure Hunts' and we are going to exploring maps, identifying key features and using these skills to find the hidden treasure - just like Pirates!
• In PSHE we will be talking about making healthy choices and will be looking at different foods and exercises.
We ask parents and carers to return the home / school diary each day as this will enable the class teacher to provide comments and information about your child's day in school. If there are particular things that you wish to be informed about, please speak with me.
All children and young people are encouraged to engage in reading and develop a love of stories. We have a wide range of reading books, sensory books and big books to support the learning styles and levels for each child. Every Friday your child will receive a new reading book. please encourage your child to engage with the characters and stories.
Individual Education Plan
This plan sets out educational targets that your child is working on for the term. There is a section in the plan that provides parents and carers with activities or tasks that you can do at home to support your child's learning. Plans are updated each term and sent home.
We kindly ask that you send in £2 each week. This contributes to snack and cookery ingredients that we use each week.
PE sessions take place each Wednesday. Please ensure a full PE kits is brought to school and that items are clearly labelled to avoid confusion. Our topics this term in PE will be sensory PE where we access workstations that are set up to meet the different senses of bodies.
Swimming sessions take place each Friday. Please provide appropriate swim clothing and swim nappies if your child uses them.
All pupils in the class take part in an enterprise activity each term. Enterprise supports children and young people to use their numeracy and literacy skills in a different context. This term we will be making crafts to sell at the Christmas fayre.